What is hysteroscopy (HSC) fertility testing?
Hysteroscopy is a procedure that uses a thin, lighted tube to look inside the uterus. At Conceive NJ we perform this examination at our office in a specially designed hysteroscopy suite.
In the workup of an infertile patient, office-based hysteroscopy can be used to look for problems inside the uterus that might be keeping the patient from getting pregnant. These problems can include:
- Fibroids, which are growths on the walls of the uterus
- Polyps, which are growths on the lining of the uterus
- Adhesions, which are bands of scar tissue that can block the uterine cavity or the fallopian tubes
Office-based hysteroscopy is a safe and relatively painless procedure. We utilize the latest generation of miniature scopes that reduce pain and discomfort and allow the procedure to be done quickly while obtaining accurate information.
Some of the benefits of office-based hysteroscopy
- It is a quick and easy procedure.
- It can be done in an office setting, which is more convenient for patients.
- It is a safe procedure, with few side effects.
- If abnormalities are found at the time of the examination, they may be treated at the same time.
If you are having trouble getting pregnant, or if you have experienced recurrent miscarriages, your doctor may recommend office-based hysteroscopy as part of your infertility or miscarriage workup.